Lough Key Triathlon Open Water Swim Policy 2019
Lough Key Triathlon club (LKTC)hosts a number of open water club training swims in Lough Key for LKTC members. As of May 2019, the club has two official open water swims each week, Wednesday at 7 pm and 9 am on Sunday. These times & days may alter through the season as identified by the LKTC club executive.
The following should be noted by all members/participants taking part in LKTC Club swim sessions;
- All swimmers must be LKTC Club members or members of a Triathlon Ireland affiliated club.
- Never Ever Swim Alone
- Swimmers must only attend the session if they are medically fit to do so.
- Arrive prepared ready on time
- Safety is priority, all participants of open water swim sessions do so at their own risk. It is the individual responsibility of each participant to ensure that they are physically fit and have a realistic level of competency to take part in open water swim sessions.
- Members must sign in and out at each club swim. A sign on/sign out sheet will be provided.
- The club operates a Kayak rota, all members who take part in official club swims must participate as Kayak support for a minimum two sessions per season, if you cannot kayak on your allocated Kayak support slot you must arrange with another member to swap or take
- No member should have to Kayak more than twice in the season.
- Newer or less experienced swimmers should swim parallel to the shore until an adequate
level of experience is achieved.
- Where appropriate use a buddy system and swim in pairs based upon speed and ability –
Discuss before getting in water.
- Stay in the designated/ agreed swim area and do not enter water space used by other water
- The club recommends that all member wear wet-suits, brightly coloured swim hats and use
- If you get into difficulty in the water, roll onto your back, raise your arm in the air to attract
attention and wait for help. When help arrives, listen to the instructions being given and try
to remain calm.
- All participants are responsible for their own personal effects and belongings while taking
part in club training sessions. Lough Key Triathlon Club accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage to personal property during any club training sessions.
- Warm up as soon as you exit the water with dry clothing etc.
- Shower after swimming, washing open wounds and ears, etc to reduce the risk of infection.
- All open water swimming venues are in a natural environment and as such will contain water
creatures and water plants. Please be aware of this and respect the environment and its inhabitants.